Sunday, May 2, 2010

Exciting Weekend

Ok, here we go. So many thoughts to include in this post. What a weekend!
It's funny though, because I get all shy and think maybe I shouldn't blog about certain situations, but when I realize how much fun I am having and how totally awesome life is, I know I need to write.

I taught a hot yoga class on Friday morning. This man walks into the lobby in a hoodie, signs his name on the sign in sheet and as he is finishing writing his last name, I look up, make eye contact and am instantly stricken with complete horror. Which for me, translates into RED cheeks, heart palpitations and the feeling as though both legs will completely collapse beneath me. I know him. He knows me. We get silent and awkward as we stare at eachother for what seemed like 3 years. He then breaks the stare and quickly shuffles into the men's change room. I've talked to him on match.com. What are the chances that he would end up at my class? SO strange. Anyways, I didn't let my nerves get the best of me. I marched into that class, sweat up a storm, and taught my little heart out. (Sidenote: the man looks very good without a shirt on). After class I decided I had a few options. After prancing around in a sports bra (no make-up, crazy bedhead, super sweaty) in front of this stranger for 90 minutes, the option that sounded most appealing was to hide in the change room for 20 minutes and wait for him to leave... completely avoiding the entire situation. The option that I thought was most mature and logical was to introduce myself with a good firm handshake and thank him for being in the class. Very yoga of me, right? So I did. I walked right up to him and said, "I'm sorry, I should have introduced myself earlier. I know we know eachother. So great to meet you in person. I hope you had a great class." He was really nice, kind of shy, said thanks, and bolted out of there. Haven't heard much since. Perplexing. But awkward nonetheless.

So yesterday, I go shopping with one of my best guy friends. He's amazing. He will happily sit in the change rooms for half an hour as I try on a million outfits and give me the most honest opinions:
"Your ass looks huge."
"You can do way better."
"You look smokin.'"
"SOOO not you, way too girlie."
"I'd do you if you were wearing that outfit."
He's not gay, he's just awesome and honest. We tried to go on a date once a while back. No fireworks. We had the talk. And now we're friends. He shares his girl stories. I share my guy stories. And he helps me buy clothes. Pretty sweet deal, I'd say.

So after a great day with my friend (we're going to nick name him Flash - I always bug him about being too flashy), we say our good-byes and he leaves me with a great little pep talk for my date. Yes people, I had a date last night. Flash says, "flirtacious activities with lots of body contact" are best for dates. So, bowling, playing pool, mini-golf, that kind of stuff. He also told me to wear low rise jeans and a low cut top. See what I mean by flashy?

As I am getting ready for my date, I get an amazing text message from one of my most wonderful male friends. He is such a strong role model in my life. I value and respect his opinion and advice immensely (he has a girlfriend and kids, for the record). His message reads: "Be authentic. If he isn't authentic, run don't walk. Superior men spoil, protect and take care of their women. Always remember that. And most of all, have fun." I love this guy.

So off I go, to my match.com date. (This is technically the second date, we had coffee on Thursday night). We went to Starbucks, got a mocha and an orange blossom tea and had a nice chat. Then we went to the grocery store to get movie snacks to enjoy while watching Avatar. All in all, a great night. Pretty mellow, really comfortable, no awkwardness, no lulls in conversation, nothing creepy. Plus, the guy has got it together. Has a good job, owns a great house, nice car, motorbike, no creepy ex-girlfriend stories, no kids, no terrible habits. What I like the most about him so far: he's totally himself. And I could pick up on that instantly. And he encourages me to be myself too. It's also awesome that his name is not Norbert. Just sayin.
So I'd say, it was a success. We'll see what happens.

So my assignments for this weeks portion of my 90 day protocal include signing up for ANOTHER online dating site. WHAT THE F*CK, lady?! It's like a full time job filtering through all the winks, e-mails and matches on one site, how am I supposed to manage TWO?? I'm not sure about this. She says I need to get my two best friends (one male, one female) to write a paragraph about me to include in my online dating profile.

Next, I have to put it out there that I am looking for love. That sounds pathetic. "Hi there, how are you? I'm looking for love." Love Guru says I need to tell everyone I know that I am looking for a quality guy, be open to being set up, and date "outside of my type," giving lots of guys a chance. THEN, I need to date three guys at once for three weeks. Sorry, but I'm looking for a boyfriend, not for a part-time job as a whore. I don't know how to do this. Getting one date is hard enough, getting three seems nearly impossible. Plus, I'm not sure I want to. I talked to Brother #2 about this (as he seems to have no problem dating more than one girl at a time) and he explained some sort of 3-tiered system to me. I don't understand it enough to be able to explain it. His own explanation was a little convoluted. The general jist of our convo was that it's all fair until you start sleeping with someone. Then you need to start eliminating tiers. Interesting concept. We'll see how this goes. I'm so old-fashioned. And way too honest. A blessing and a curse.

Anyways, I would like to conclude this random mish-mash of thoughts by clarifying a few things. First and foremost, I am not a man-hater. My recent posts may have been a little negative toward our male counter-parts. I think men are great. I just think they're kind of weird. I guess maybe if I am calling men stupid, they are certainly entitled to think we're complicated. Maybe if they weren't so dumb, they wouldn't find us complicated though. Anyways, I digress. My point: I am, by no means, a man-hater. My second point to clarify, I don't NEED a man. I am completely happy, content, secure and stable being by myself. I enjoy my own company, I am confident and I am independent. I just feel as though the special moments in life are most enjoyable when shared with someone else. I think that my already amazing life would be exponentially increased in amazingness if it was complimented by another amazing (and handsome) individual.

xox

2 comments:

  1. Its actually more of a pyramid system. It can have as many or as few tiers as you want, but the girl your sleeping with has to always be at the top, where she is either eliminated and everyone moves up the tiers, or she becomes the pyramid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did i know 'brother #2' was duncan! hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete