Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Land of the Big Sky

I'm currently down in the good ol' US of A partaking in some very thorough retail therapy.  For no reason.  The therapy was not required, but some how using that term makes us feel better about maxing out the Visas at Target.  

All these big open spaces, long, endless highways, and beautiful blue skies bring a girl to reflect a little.  So, here are my reflections on the last week.

Yoga Man e-mailed me after the incredibly awkward encounter at the yoga studio.  We went out for coffee last Tuesday night.  Not good.  He broke some MAJOR first date rules.  I have done some serious contemplating about first date etiquette since, and here is what I have come up with (pay attention, men):
1.) Don't be late - being late is the first indicator of disrespect in my books.
2.) Smell good and look good - in this day and age, there's is no excuse for looking shabby.  Iron your shirt, you slob.
3.) Open doors - duh.  
4.) Listen  - are you really listening when you have asked me about something I have already told you three times?  And oh yeah, don't talk to my boobs.  They won't respond.
5.) Pay - I think this is important.  After the first date, this rule may no longer be applicable.  But on the first date, the man pays.  That's all there is to it.  

Ok, so when you read over that list, there's really only five simple rules to remember.  And most of them might seem quite obvious.  However, it is shocking how few men actually follow all of these guidelines on a first date.  And not even just on a first date.  Shouldn't you always hold the door open for people?  I do.  And I'm not a guy on a first date.

Anyways, I guess it all comes down to respect.  I don't need someone to be my man slave, but I DO need someone to respect me and to treat me like a human being.  And a first date that consists of more than uncomfortable coffee conversation, a movie, or something equally as lame would be nice.  Is that too much to ask?

And by the way, the selection of hot, single men in Montana is limited.  Unless you're into Park Rangers, head-to-toe camo, or a guy that carries a gun that's bigger than you are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment