Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Slow Cooker Tuesday Dinner: Artichoke Chicken

My routine-making always seems to start with meal-planning.  I always feel better having a week full of dinners planned out.  It’s kind of insane, actually.  Most people would organize drawers, or empty boxes, plan activities or meetings, but me, I plan FOOD.  I decided that Tuesday nights will be our slow cooker nights (as I often work late on Tuesdays).  Plus, cooking in the slow cooker is like opening a present.  You pop a bunch of random ingredients in to a pot, leave the house for 7 hours, come home to delightful aromas and open the pot to a wonderful surprise! A complete and delicious dinner.  Last night’s attempt: Artichoke Chicken and Quinoa.  The recipe was kind of a compilation of a few I had found online.  I wanted to eliminate flour and sugary ingredients, so this is what I came up with.  It was verrrrrry good!


Artichoke Chicken and Quinoa

Ingredients
-1 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 cup chopped artichokes hearts (the ones from the deli marinated in oil are especially yummy)
-1/2 cup chopped, pitted olives (for the love of Pete, do NOT use the canned ones)
-1 medium yellow onion, chopped
-2 cups sliced mushrooms
-1 ¼ cup chicken broth
-a splash of dry white wine
-3 tbsp. arrowroot powder (cornstarch would suffice, I’d imagine)
-1 ½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts

Method
-Combine all ingredients except chicken in slow cooker pot and stir to combine
-Place chicken on top of tomato mixture and spoon some of the mixture over the chicken
-Cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Serve over quinoa, steamed rice, or cous cous.

1 comment: