Thursday, October 6, 2011

Breakfast For Tomorrow.... Today!

Due to the stress, changes and craziness of life recently, my mom and I have decided to run away for 2 days.  Nowhere exciting, just Montana.  Target is calling my name.  We will be leaving tomorrow morning, so I thought I'd make us some easy portable road-trip breakfast snacks.  The recipe is almost totally made up (so excuse the approximate measurements) but it turned out quite well, so I thought I'd share.

Muffin Tin Quiche

Ingredients
  • 1 cup almond meal
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • A few tbsp. melted butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup grated cheese of your choice 
  • Your choice of veegtable filling:  I chose mushrooms, orange and red peppers, onions and garlic (all that was in my fridge!)
Method
  • Combine first three ingredients in medium sized bowl (should be crumbly) and press into the bottom of 12 muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for about 5-8 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, saute mushrooms and other veggies in olive oil.  Season well with S&P and your choice of herbs.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and cheese.
  • Pull muffin tins out of the oven, and scoop about 1 tbsp. full of veggie mixture on to each crust.  Then carefully pour the egg and cheese in to the muffin tins to (*almost*) reach the top.
  • Sprinkle with extra cheese if you'd like (who WOULDN'T like?) and bake at 350 for another 15-20 minutes or until the eggs have puffed up.  Don't overcook, though!
  • Enjoy!!

Happy weekend!  (Well, it's my weekend, anyways!)

No comments:

Post a Comment