Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Collaborative Effort: Hot Sex For Sandwiches

Happy Canada Day. I am celebrating by drinking Corona's with my brother (Brother #2) while preparing to drive across the province for a family reunion this weekend. Oh, the excitement. After a few Corona's, and a harsh scolding from my brother about neglecting my faithful blog followers, we decided it was necessary to post a collaborative blog. For the record, the title was all him.

A few points we will be covering:
-Market relationships.
-An exchange of goods and services.
-How the dynamics of today's relationships have changed because of feminism.
-And my personal favorite - stretching and reaching.

Can you tell Brother #2 is a Sociology major? He's also a professional womanizer, a bounty hunter, a part time super hero, and an all around smart ass.

Let us elaborate:
Back in the old days, a market relationship was as follows: A man was more capable of killing a sabre tooth tiger with a stick, and a woman was more capable of raising children. Hence the "hot sex for sandwiches" term - a woman gives a man hot sex, he gives her what she needs to make sandwiches. I like to think of it like this - a man provides security and a woman gives him a family. Sounds vulgar and somewhat primitive, but I think Brother #2 has a valid point.

Feminism has changed the success of relationships because it has changed the dynamics, skewed the typical roles and totally f*cked up the polarity scales. Women are totally capable of self sustenance, and other than in extreme scenarios, don't really rely on men for security anymore. Men, on the other hand, have mostly become bonafide subscribers to the weekly issue of VaginaVille (a.k.a. pacification of man). For example, finding a man capable of kicking in the door to a burning building, killing six men with his bare hands, throwing a damsel in distress over his shoulder and heroically carrying her to safety is about as rare as finding that damsel in distress that will let someone take care of her, or for that matter, even needs to be taken care of.

This is an excellent illustration of why successful relationships always have a reacher and a stretcher.
A reacher: someone that is reaching down.
A stretcher: someone that is stretching up.
Ideally, the reacher and stretcher meet half way, and all is good in the world.
You can reach and stretch in different ways though. For example, Brother #2 always feels like he is the stretcher is the looks department in most of his relationships. However, the girls he is with are most likely stretching in other departments.

After another highly intellectual and insightful night with Brother #2, I am left thinking...
Maybe I need to channel my inner damsel. I mean, I'm not going to turn into a complete needy, high-maintenance flake. BUT... I am starting to realize that people need to feel valued for their skills, abilities and strengths. They especially need to feel valued by the person they are with. So I think it's ok for me to let down my walls a bit, to ask for help, to get a certain special someone to fix my car, and drop the "I can do it myself" thing. Besides, being a damsel in distress could be fun sometimes. Might take some getting used to, but here goes nothing.

1 comment:

  1. next collaborative blog i will write with my brother: how to get laid in combat boots.

    ReplyDelete