Saturday, June 12, 2010

Confessions

I have never really considered myself a girlie girl. I'm pretty low-maintenance. I mean, I went out in public today after hot yoga in torn sweat pants (I think they're men's pants, actually) and a baseball cap. I'm just not really the girlie type.

Or so I thought. I was clearly in denial. I had a MAJOR Carrie Bradshaw moment tonight. Let me explain.

It's a beautiful Saturday summer night and I am home. Alone. Doing laundry. Partly because I am feeling sorry for myself because a special certain someone is out in Vancouver for business all weekend. But mostly because I am a big nerd. I often require quiet nights at home to recharge and get my life organized. So, in my cleaning and laundry frenzy, I had a sudden urge to clean out my front hall closet. It's been a long time coming.

The shoes! Oh, the shoes! I almost sustained major trauma to the head, as they started to tumble off the higher shelves. "It's time," I thought to myself. Time to say good-bye to the glittery high heels I wore to my highschool graduation, the golf shoes that I haven't worn in about 4 years, the "WHAT-WAS-I-THINKING?" knee high black leather boots, and of course, several pairs of flip flops.

After gutting my closet, this is what I am left with:
A large laundry basket full of shoes to take to Value Village - 36 pairs.
And a semi-organized closet - 53 pairs.

That means that at 8:00 tonight, I had 89 pairs of shoes in my closet! I am shocked, appalled, and humiliated. I felt as though photo documentation was necessary.

The upper shelves, somewhat organized. 15 pairs.


The amazing little Ikea organizers. 31 pairs. And oh yeah, 7 more pairs on the floor of the closet.


The aftermath... I shed some tears as we said our good-byes.
Don't ask me about those zebra prints.


Anyways, all the falling shoes stirred up lots of old memories. Each pair had a story. So I'm still sticking with the idea that I'm not girlie. I'm just nostalgic. Plus, shoes are the perfect accessory. You can make a mediocre outfit fan-freakin-tastic with the right pair of kicks. And you never feel fat when trying on shoes. I have just always thought that every occassion should have the perfect pair of shoes. Even if the occassion is going grocery shopping or to the beach... there is the right pair of shoes for every activity and every day.

I don't really need all those shoes anymore though. I just need one pair. You know, that perfect pair that goes with everything, that you can take anywhere, that always looks amazing, that makes you feel invincible, sexy, powerful, that cushions every step you take, that is with you every step of the way... and that just fits. Kind of like the perfect man. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment